Vermont Business Magazine OneCare Vermont is Vermont’s local, 501(c)(3) accountable care organization (ACO) that partners with health care providers to transform the state’s healthcare system. OneCare maintains a governance board that includes managers from throughout the state that represent the full continuum of care and consumers. The board recently endorsed and approved changes to the membership roster in alignment with the recent governance change announcement. John Brumsted, MD will step down as chair of OneCare board of managers in January 2022.
“OneCare is well served by the breadth of experience our board brings to some of the most pressing issues in health care reform,” said Vicki Loner, RN.C, MHCDS, OneCare CEO. Loner continued, “The board is committed to working toward improved health and well-being of Vermonters and Vermont’s communities.”
The following are the new board members and the dates their service on the OneCare board of managers will commence:
- Tom Huebner, former president of Rutland Regional Medical Center, where he worked for 28 years. Huebner was on the BlueCross BlueShield of Vermont board of directors for 24 years, and is now on the boards of the Federally Qualified Health Centers and the Vermont Nurses Association in Rutland, and the Brattleboro Retreat. He has been appointed by the University of Vermont Health Network (UVMHN) to fill a member manager seat and his term begins December 1, 2021.
- Steve LeBlanc, Chief Strategy Officer at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Health has been appointed to the newly created seat to represent the Academic Medical Center located in New Hampshire beginning October 19, 2021.
- Dr. Jennifer Gilwee, division chief of General Internal Medicine, UVM Medical Center, has been elected to a currently vacant seat to represent the Academic Medical Center located in Vermont. Her term begins December 1, 2021.
- Eilidh Pederson, chief operating officer at Brattleboro Memorial Hospital, has been elected to fill an At Large seat beginning January 1, 2021.
- Dr. Teresa Fama, attending physician and site leader, Rheumatology, UVMHN Central Vermont Medical Center (CVMC), has been appointed to a UVMHN member manager seat beginning February 1, 2022.
- Cynthia Turner, Vice President of Human Resources, Vermont Federal Credit Union has been elected to fill a newly created second seat for commercial consumers, bringing the total number of consumer seats to four. Her term began on August 1, 2021.
Roster for OneCare Board of Managers beginning on January 1, 2022
- Academic Medical Center in NH serving Vermonters: Steve LeBlanc – Chief Strategy Officer, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Health
- Academic Medical Center in VT: Jen Gilwee, MD - Division Chief of General Internal Medicine, UVM Medical Center
- At-Large (Risk Strategy Committee): Tom Dee – CEO, Southwestern Vermont Medical Center
- At-Large: Eilidh Pederson – COO, Brattleboro Memorial Hospital
- At-Large: Vacant
- Community Hospital – CAH: Dan Bennett – CEO Gifford Health Systems
- Community Hospital – PPS: Claudio Fort – President and CEO, Rutland Regional Medical Center
- Consumer (Medicare): Betsy Davis – Retired Home Health Executive
- Consumer (Medicaid): Sierra Lowell – Nursing Student
- Consumer (Commercial): John Sayles – CEO, Vermont Foodbank
- Consumer (Commercial): Cynthia Turner – Vice President of Human Resources, Vermont Federal Credit Union
- Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC): Michael Costa – CEO, Northern Counties Health Care, Inc.
- Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC): Stuart May – President & CEO, Lamoille Health Partners
- Home Health: John Saroyan, MD – Regional Medical Director, Bayada Home Health Care
- Independent Physician: Toby Sadkin, MD – Primary Care Health Partners
- Independent Physician: Adriane Trout, MD – Thomas Chittenden Health Center
- Mental Health: Robert Bick – CEO, Howard Center, Inc.
- Skilled Nursing Facility: Coleen Kohaut – Owner and Administrator, Suncrest Healthcare Communities
- UVM Health Network: John Brumsted, MD – CEO, UVM Health Network*
- UVM Health Network: Tom Huebner – Former President of Rutland Regional Medical Center
- UVM Health Network: Rick Vincent – CFO, UVM Health Network
*John Brumsted’s last meeting will be in January 2022 and a new chair will be elected
After six years serving on the OneCare board of managers and three years as the chair, John Brumsted, MD will step down from the board in January of 2022. Brumsted said, “It has been an honor to have been part of the creation of OneCare and to work collaboratively with fellow providers from throughout the state toward our shared goals of better health for Vermonters at a more reasonable cost.” He continued, “We have built a strong foundation to continue to spread value-based care with our partners at the community, state, and federal level.”
OneCare has a membership of 5,060 providers serving every area of Vermont including primary care and specialty physicians, hospitals, home health agencies, and designated mental health agencies that work together across organizational lines. OneCare contracts on behalf of its members to receive “value-based payments,” which reward higher-quality, lower-cost care, a strategy that gives providers the power and flexibility to focus as much on keeping patients healthy as on treating them when they are ill. OneCare provides value through network performance management, data and analytics, and payment reform.
About OneCare Vermont
OneCare Vermont partners with health care providers to transform the health care system to one that focuses on health goals and fosters better outcomes for all. By giving health care providers actionable data and analytics, paying for health care value, and managing ACO network performance, OneCare supports participating providers in their work to provide excellent health care to Vermonters. Through this partnership, OneCare moves Vermont toward a trusted, equitable health care system where patients and providers work together to achieve optimal health and an exceptional care experience. Learn more at onecarevt.org.
Source: Colchester, Vt. –OneCare Vermont 11.18.2021