The southbound Vermonter picks up passengers in Essex Junction. VBM file photo.
Vermont Business Magazine The Vermont Agency of Transportation (AOT) is announcing celebratory events at all Amtrak stations in Vermont to welcome back the state's two Amtrak trains on Monday, July 19, when the Vermonter and Ethan Allen Express resume service.
Congressman Peter Welch will speak at the 8:30 am event at the St Albans Station to celebrate the return of the Vermonter. Also scheduled to speak are Chair of the House Transportation Committee Representative Diane Lanpher, Amtrak Vice President Ray Lang, Vermont Transportation Secretary Joe Flynn, St. Albans Mayor Tim Smith, and Village of Essex Junction Board of Trustees President Andrew Brown, among others.
A 7:30 a.m. event at the Rutland Station will celebrate the return of the Ethan Allen Express. Speakers include David Allaire, who is Mayor of Rutland and a member of the Vermont Rail Advisory Council and the Operation Lifesaver of Vermont Board. Vice-Chair of the House Transportation Committee Rep. Charles “Butch” Shaw will also speak at the Rutland event.
Operation Lifesaver of Vermont will be providing short presentations on rail safety at each station. At the Montpelier Junction event, free maple creemees will be served by Palmer Lane Maple of Jericho and funded by Vermont dairy farmers and AOT. The celebratory events begin 45 minutes before the trains are scheduled to arrive at all stations. Please check local announcements for more information about events.
To complement these events, $1 train fares are being offered for travel within Vermont on July 19 so attendees may participate in the celebration with an Amtrak train ride.
- For $1 Amtrak tickets on July 19, go to https://www.amtrak.com/vermont.
- Links to the Amtrak train schedules for Vermont service, as well as additional Amtrak information, are on the AOT website at https://vtrans.vermont.gov/rail/providers.
For event participants who plan to take the train one-way, the following bus shuttle services will be offered:
- Passengers who ride the Vermonter train southbound may return by shuttle from Montpelier or Brattleboro to St. Albans (two shuttle offerings).
- In advance of the Vermonter event in Bellows Falls, a shuttle in Brattleboro will take passengers to Bellows Falls, and they may then ride the Vermonter train to Brattleboro.
- Passengers who ride the Ethan Allen train westbound may return by shuttle to Rutland.
- In advance of the Ethan Allen event in Rutland, a shuttle in Castleton will take passengers to Rutland, and they may then ride the Ethan Allen train to Castleton.
For shuttle service, seating is limited and being offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Reserve your seat online now:
Summer Amtrak fares for travel on the Vermonter and Ethan Allen Express are now 50% off and will be available for booking through July 15.
Source: Barre, Vt. – The Vermont Agency of Transportation 7.6.2021