Vermont Business Magazine Vermont’s Killington Resort, the largest ski and snowboard destination in Eastern North America, and part of POWDR, is partnering with Waste Free Earth for the AUDI FIS Ski Women’s World Cup Races this weekend.
Killington is working with Waste Free Earth towards achieving a goal of a zero waste event in the future. The resort will divert as much waste away from landfill as possible by educating and enabling spectators, vendors and staff to reuse, compost and recycle.
For 2019, Killington is excited to increase efforts so skiers, riders and event spectators can experience action sports adventure in a sustainable way for years to come.
“All of our current efforts will result in a cleaner, healthier future,” says Mike Solimano, president and general manager of Killington Resort and Pico Mountain. “We’re glad to have Waste Free Earth on-site during the HomeLight Killington Women’s Cup to help educate our guests and staff as we continue to strive to increase our sustainability programming.”
Killington isn’t new to the world of sustainability. With the support of POWDR, a family-owned adventure lifestyle company and our parent company, Killington and Pico have taken significant action to protect the environment and enable adventure participation with Play Forever. Play Forever is designed to connect local communities, employees and guests with POWDR’s belief that there is nothing better for the soul than to live a balanced life full of adventure and that future generations should have the same opportunities we have today.
Play Forever Killington/Pico Highlights:
- Killington’s K-1 Express Gondola and Peak Lodge powered solely by manure from local dairy farms.
- Pico’s Opening Day Food Raiser that supports Bennington Rutland Opportunity Council (BROC) with guest donations of non-perishable food items in exchange for discounted one-day lifttickets.
- Killington partners with The Bus to offer free rides from Rutland to Killington Resort over World Cup Weekend in addition to resort employees receiving free transportation year round.
- Killington is the largest EV charging hub in New England with nearly 50 electric car chargers.
- Killington’s solar efforts generate enough electricity to power all lifts at Killington and Pico excluding the K-1 Express Gondola which is powered by Cow Power.
For more information on Killington’s Play Forever initiatives and programming, click here.
Source: KILLINGTON, Vt. (November 29, 2019) – Killington Resort