Flood Recovery: What Farmers Should Do Now

Watch a special message from VAAFM Secretary, Anson Tebbetts

Vermont Business Magazine The Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets has created next steps for farmers in the wake of devastating flooding. We hope you are now safe from the disaster as we turn to recovery.

If you have specific questions about crops, damage, or other flood-related topics, please see our resources page at agriculture.vermont.gov/flood, call 802-828-5667, or email [email protected].

Here's what to do if you have experienced damage to your form due to the floods:

  1. Document damage to your farm due to flooding and severe weather, to the best of your ability. Documentation details may vary depending on program but should include date-stamped photos, estimated crop loss, and infrastructure damage. In some circumstances, the damage may need to be observed in person
  2. Report damage, including any damage to your home, on the Vermont 211 website or call 2-1-1. Note that there are different forms to complete for “personal” and for “business” damage. This information will help the state apply for federal FEMA resources.
  3. Contact your county USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA) Service Center. Reporting damage and losses to FSA will help Vermont receive a USDA disaster designation and unlock federal funding for agriculture. FSA may provide compensation for losses and financial assistance for repair work. Whether or not you have crop insurance, you may qualify for additional federal assistance. USDA also has a Disaster Assistance Discovery Tool, which provides information about some of the programs which may be available in the coming weeks. However, local Service Center FSA staff will be the most knowledgeable about federal programs.
  4. Complete the upcoming Flood Damage Survey from VAAFM, which will be released on Sunday, July 30th. Survey data will be used to inform response efforts, effectively allocate resources, and advocate for future relief and recovery programs.

Additional steps that may also be helpful and relevant to your business

  1. Contact your insurance company with potential crop loss, yield reductions, or infrastructure damages. They may send an adjuster to document any claims.
  2. Contact your lenders to request a waiver on loan payments during this emergency period.
  3. Connect with a trusted service provider to discuss your business viability questions and concerns. If you are looking for a farm viability advisor, contact the Vermont Farm & Forest Viability Program. Local Conservation District or UVM Extension staff may be able to assist you.
  4. Apply for local emergency funds that may be available to your business.
    1. NOFA- VT Emergency Farmer Grants can provide grants up to $5,000. Contact Bill Cavanaugh at [email protected] or 802-434-7154 to begin.
    2. Center for an Agricultural Economy Vermont Farm Fund can offer emergency loans up to $10,000 with 0% interest.

 Additional local emergency funding opportunities may be available as the following funds are currently accepting donations:

  1. Intervale Recovery Fund
  2. VT Community Foundation – 2023 Flood Response & Recovery Fund

Access the Latest Flood Related Resources


No-Till Vegetable Production

No-Till Vegetable
Production Workshop

Join NOFA-VT on July 30th at 10am at Breadseed Farm in Craftsbury for a no-till vegetable production workshop. 

Experience Breadseed's one-acre market garden focused on regenerative practices and building soil health. 

Gardeners, homesteaders, and small commercial growers will find value in this workshop. 

Registration is required. The cost is $25 for NOFA-VT members, $35 for non-members, and free for BIPOC individuals.

Workshop: July 30th

Vermont 211 Business Damage Form

Vermont 211 Business Damage Intake Form

Please consider filling out Vermont 211's intake form if your business was damaged by the disaster. The results of the form will help the state apply for the FEMA Individual Assistance Program. 

Do not contact FEMA directly, as the state does not yet have access to FEMA resources. It is also important, at the end of the form, that you give Vermont 211 the permission to share your information with agencies that can help. When ready, you may be contacted directly with available aid/resources.

Complete the intake form


Reminder: USDA Organic Dairy Marketing Assistance Program

The Organic Dairy Marketing Assistance Program (ODMAP) is accepting applications through your local Farm Service Agency Office until July 26th. 

With certified organic dairy producers facing a unique set of challenges in recent years, the USDA has committed $104 million in financial assistance. 

FSA is providing assistance for a producer's projected marketing costs in 2023 based on 2022 costs. ODMAP provides a one-time cost-share-payment, based on marketing costs, on pounds of organic milk marketed in 2022. 

Apply at your local FSA Office

Application deadline: July 26th

Agritourism for Maple Producers

Agritourism For
Maple Producers

In recent years, the demand for authentic on-farm experiences has surged, offering maple producers a golden opportunity to diversify revenue and expand the public's knowledge of maple through agritourism.

There are many ways maple producers can engage visitors, including offering tours, tastings, and demonstrations, trails through the sugarbush, hosting special events, showcasing sustainable maple production, and opening a farm store.

If you're a maple producer thinking about inviting visitors onto your farm, check out this week’s blog for more ideas and links to additional resources to help you get started!

Read the full blog

View the VAAFM Grants Calendar

Copyright © 2023, All rights reserved.
Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets
116 State St. Montpelier, VT 05620

Our website address is: