Waitsfield brewery wins prestigious distinction from University of Vermont Grossman School of Business
Vermont Business Magazine Lawson’s Finest Liquids has been named the 2021 First-Generation Family Enterprise Award winner by the University of Vermont Grossman School of Business’ Family Business Institute. Established in 2011, the UVM Family Business Awards honor four local, family-owned businesses annually. Nominees are evaluated on financial success, governance structure, contribution to community or industry, as well as commitments to sustainability and innovation.
Lawson’s Finest Liquids is being recognized amid several initiatives spanning the judging criteria. The company continues to thrive with consistent annual growth and a dedication to cultivating healthy, vibrant communities through their Social Impact Program. Located in the Mad River Valley, Lawson’s Finest Liquids’ brewery and taproom offer the region's finest craft beer and light fare from local producers. A focus on quality across the organization has also been key to the brewery’s success.
“We are so honored to receive this recognition of our family business that supports our employees and delivers world-class beer to our fans,” said Karen Lawson, Co-Owner of Lawson’s Finest Liquids. “We are humbled to be recognized for our Vermont-based business and take great pride in leading with our values.”
The Grossman School of Business’ Family Business Institute also awarded 2021 Family Business Awards across to Healthy Living, Giroux Farms, and H.N. Williams. SEE BELOW.
The Lawson’s family extends a hearty thanks to all the judges and the University of Vermont for this recognition, and a congratulations to every 2021 winner.
To learn more about the UVM Grossman School of Business and the Family Business Institute, click here.
For more information on Lawson’s Finest Liquids, visit www.lawsonsfinest.com.
ABOUT LAWSON’S FINEST LIQUIDS
Based in Waitsfield, Vermont, Lawson’s Finest Liquids produces beers of the highest quality and freshness. Emulating the best of widely appreciated styles, Lawson’s Finest is home to a growing collection of expertly crafted beers, including world-class IPAs and unique maple brews. Founded in 2008 by Sean and Karen Lawson, the company started as a highly acclaimed, small-batch artisanal brewery in Warren, Vermont. In 2014, Lawson’s Finest Liquids added an alternating proprietorship in Stratford, Connecticut, where the brewery produces its flagship Sip of Sunshine and Super Session beers. Lawson’s Finest Liquids opened its destination brewery, taproom, and retail store in Waitsfield in 2018. For more information on Lawson’s Finest Liquids, please visit www.lawsonsfinest.com or follow the brewery on Instagram (@lawsonsfinest) and Facebook (@lawsonsfinestliquids).
10th Annual Family Business Award Winners
Healthy Living Market
2022 NOMINATIONS ARE NOW OPEN!
Anyone can nominate, self-nominations are welcome.
Family businesses are a major driver in the world economy. What may start as an idea in a home, with determination and innovation, grows into a business built to last. The University of Vermont’s Grossman School of Business recognizes and celebrates first and later generational family owned businesses that have demonstrated a commitment to creating sustainable business through leadership and innovation.
WHO CAN BE NOMINATED:
Family Enterprises in the following categories can be nominated:
- 1st Gen: Start-up or purchased firms with multiple family members in ownership or operations.
- Multi-Gen - Family Enterprise that has completed at least one generational transfer within the family.
- Multi-Gen - Global Enterprise that has completed at least one generational transfer within the family.
- Vermont Legacy Family Enterprise: Vermont based family business recognized for outstanding and long lasting success..
WHO CAN NOMINATE?
Nominations can be submitted by the company (self-nominations) or by associated parties.
The judging panel will evaluate the nominations and select the winners based on the following criteria:
- Financial success of the company
- Governance of the family and the business
- Contributions to the community and industry
- Innovative business practices or strategies
- Billy Brownlee (’99) – H. N. Williams Store, 2021 Vermont Legacy Family Enterprise Winner
- Craig Giroux – Giroux’s Poultry/Grains/Orchards, 2021 Multi-Gen Family Enterprise Award Winner
- Kristin Hutchins – Ruge’s Automotive, Inc., 2020 Multi-Gen Family Enterprise Award Winner
- Karen Lawson (’97) – Lawson’s Finest Liquids, 2021 1st Generation Family Enterprise Award Winner
- Katy Lesser – Healthy Living Market, 2021 Multi-Gen Family Enterprise Award Winner
- Joe Miles – rk Miles, 2020 Multi-Gen Family Enterprise Award Winner
- Steve Schlesinger (’83) – Schlesinger Group, 2016 Multi-Gen Global Family Enterprise Award Winner
- Pramodita Sharma – Schlesinger-Grossman Chair of Family Business, UVM Grossman School of Business (non-voting chair)
OVER THE YEARS:
1st GENERATION FAMILY ENTERPRISE: Start-up or purchased firm with multiple family members in ownership or operations.
- 2021: Lawson's Finest Liquids, Waitsfield, VT - Video: The Lawson's Story
- 2020: American Flatbread at Lareau Farm, Waitsfield, VT
- 2019: Rhino Foods, Inc., Burlington, VT
- 2018: The Alchemist, Stowe, VT
- 2016: The RehabGYM, Williston, VT
- 2015: MyWebGrocer, Winooski, VT
- 2013: A.W. Brown Pet & Garden Store, East Longmeadow, MA
- 2012: DLC Management Corporation, Tarrytown, NY
MULTI-GEN FAMILY ENTERPRISE: Family firms that have completed at least one generational transfer within the family.
- 2021: Giroux’s Poultry/Grains/Orchards, Chazy, NY
- 2021: Healthy Living Market, South Burlington, VT
- 2020: r.k. Miles, Inc., Middlebury, VT
- 2020: Ruge’s Automotive, Inc., Rhinebeck, NY
- 2019: Trapp Family Lodge, Stowe, VT
- 2019: Bergman Real Estate Group, Iselin, NJ
- 2018: Curtis Packaging, Sandy Hook, CT
- 2018: Lake Champlain Chocolates, Burlington, VT
- 2017: Foley Inc., Piscataway Township, NJ
- 2017: New England Kenworth, Shelburne, VT
- 2015: Boyden Valley Winery, Caimbridge, VT
- 2014: Butternut Mountain Farm, Morrisville, VT
- 2013: State Garden Inc. / Olivia's Organics, Chelsea, MA
- 2012: Sagamore Golf, North Hampton, NH
MULTI-GEN GLOBAL ENTERPRISE: Family firms that have completed at least one generational transfer within the family.
- 2017: Cardinal Shoes, Lawrence, MA
- 2016: Schlesinger Associates, Iselin, NJ
- 2015: The Barton Group, Glens Falls, NY
- 2014: Alqueria Dairy, Bogotá, COLOMBIA
- 2013: DiLeonardo International, Warwick, RI
VERMONT LEGACY FAMILY ENTERPRISE: Vermont based family business recognized for outstanding and long lasting success -
- 2021: H. N. Williams Store, Inc, Dorset, VT - Video: The H. N. Williams Story
- 2020: Trow & Holden Company, Barre, VT
- 2019: O'Brien Brothers, South Burlington, VT
- 2018: Foster Brothers Farm / Vermont Natural Ag Products Inc., Middlebury, VT
- 2017: Basin Harbor, Vergennes, VT
- 2017: Morse Farm Maple Sugarworks, Montpelier, VT
- 2016: Addison Press, Middlebury, VT
- 2015: Branon Family Maple Orchards, Fairfield, VT
- 2014: Wayside Restaurant, Montpelier, VT
- 2013: Dakin Farms, Ferrisburg, VT
- 2012: Maple Landmark Inc., Middlebury, VT
Source: Waitsfield, VT. (October 18, 2021) – Lawson’s Finest Liquids. University of Vermont Grossman School of Business’ Family Business Institute, Burlington.