Rally for Kids at the State House During Early Childhood Day at the Legislature
WHAT: Early childhood advocates will gather at the State House for the fourth annual Rally for Kids and call on their legislators to make critical investments in high-quality, affordable child care in order to: help more Vermont children access affordable child care; sustain and grow Vermont’s early childhood education workforce; and engage Vermont employers and communities in supporting our early care and learning system.
WHEN: Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 1:15–1:45 PM
WHERE: Vermont State House steps (Capitol Plaza Hotel in case of inclement weather)
WHO: 300+ early childhood advocates are registered for the day; featured speakers at the Rally for Kids will include:
- Senate President Pro Tem Tim Ashe
- Speaker of the House Mitzi Johnson
- Linda Bassick, former early educator and current children’s musician who will emcee the event
- Esther Thomas, single mom from Middlebury who wouldn’t be able to afford quality child care without support from Vermont’s Child Care Financial Assistance Program
- Dominique Viteretto, early educator who works at Davis Studio Preschool but is struggling to stay in the field because of low wages
- Duane Peterson, Co-President and Founder of SunCommon, who believes high-quality, affordable child care is growing Vermont’s businesses and economy
WHY: 3 out of 5 of Vermont’s youngest children don’t have access to the child care they need. That means too many kids are missing out on a strong start in life. The ripple effects of these missed opportunities impact our families, communities, economy ... all of us.
The Rally for Kids takes place during Early Childhood Day at the Legislature (ECDL), an annual day of advocacy, education, and networking that brings together early childhood professionals, parents, employers, and policymakers to focus on early childhood issues. The event is co-hosted by Let’s Grow Kids, the Vermont Early Childhood Advocacy Alliance and Building Bright Futures. More info here: https://vecaa.org/ecdl/
About Let’s Grow Kids
Let’s Grow Kids is a nonprofit organization on a mission: ensuring affordable access to high-quality child care for all Vermont families by 2025. With over 30,000 supporters from all walks of life, Let’s Grow Kids is strengthening the early care and education system today while calling for lasting investments in child care. Together, we can give kids a strong start and build a better Vermont for generations to come. Learn more at www.letsgrowkids.org.